An Awakening 4



I continued with my relationship with Biola. It was a symbiotic relationship and so I had every reason to continue. Gone was the frustration, and sleepless nights. The guilt I felt, I pushed away rationalizing that if I hadn’t sought sexual healing from Biola, I might have gone bananas.
I arranged my schedule such that I was supposed to travel every weekend on a ‘ business trip'. I was doing my own business now and so I felt I could get away with it. For years this was the lie I told Ife, the reasons why the weekends saw me away from her. She never argued. I would come back into her loving arms every Monday evening, after work.
Some years down the line, Biola announced she was pregnant. I was happy but sad at the same time. I would have wished the baby had come from Ife. But I was happy that at last I would be a father after close to ten years of marriage. But, what if, just if, Ife gets to hear, it would make her feel so betrayed. The thought haunted me daily, took away my joy for weeks. I sought Afolabi' s counsel again. He assured me there was no way she would get wind of my affair, not to talk of my baby, as long as I was playing it right. This drew some comfort for me and I started sleeping better afterwards.
I had to break the news to my parents, whilst my mother was of the opinion I marry Biola as a second wife my father was not in agreement. He felt happy he was finally going to be a grand dad but disapproved of the relationship and reminded me I was legally married to Ife. I told them I would sort myself out.
Ife and I had visited the hospital, Infact different hospitals before now and we had been told we were both healthy, capable of having kids. But, the kids never came. The frequency of our love making had decreased, as I couldn’t be bothered anymore. I had no energy and will to go through the exercise which always left me frustrated.
My long awaited joy arrived, Biola gave birth to a bouncing baby girl. My joy knew no bounds. I was happy, I was fulfilled. The naming I was determined would be private but very chic. I spent and was spent. No expense was too great for my Bambina, my little angel, daddy's look alike. We named her Soomtochukwu, Chukwuanugo, Ibironke and Ifedolapo!
Yeah, ironical, but through it all, I have never stopped loving Ife hence the choice of her name for my daughter.
There was a spring to my step. A liveliness in my heart and body. All was right with my world.
It was my birthday, a month after my daughter’s naming. It fell on a Tuesday. Ife had promised to make it a day I would never forget. I believed her as she had always been good at springing surprises.
I left my office early, I was that excited. I wondered what gifts she had in store for me. She had promised my favourite, pounded yam and egusi soup plus goat meat. I have a thing for the hide of the animal. I got home to meet my wife equally excited and dressed up in a sultry red gown which left nothing to the imagination. I was surprised as this had never happened before. She hugged me and led me to the dinning table. I ate and ate till I was filled to bursting. The pounded yam was firm and stretchy, just the way I liked it, the hide? Soft and it had deliciously soaked up the egusi soup.
She then led me to the bedroom and handed me a box, wrapped in red velvet( red has always been my favourite colour). I hurriedly opened the box and brought out a bulky envelope, I opened it and out tumbled pictures, upon a closer look, pictures of my escapades with Biola! Pictures of the naming ceremony, outings, my baby, the works. Mogbe!( I am in trouble!) I started trembling and managed to lift up my eyes to hers, she smiled at me, very sweetly
‘ You can run, but you cannot hide' she said, coldly. She said she had known about Biola all along plus the baby. She had hired a private investigator when she discovered my attempts to make love with her had sharply declined.
She knew all along. She went ahead to say she would forgive me on two conditions, that I stop my tryst with Biola and bring the baby home. She would look after her, like her own.
How on earth am I going to persuade Biola to part with the baby, our daughter? Truth is while my love for Ife had never wavered, I had also grown to love Biola and was already making plans to get married to her in the traditional way.  I couldn’t imagine living without her.
I consulted my usual adviser, Afolabi who told me he was also at his wits end and that I should do what I felt best! Omo ara ye!( human beings!)
I thought of my position in the church, what if my Pastor( who has been in the dark) finds out?. Can I divorce Ife? And then marry the mother of my child. Can I live without Ife’s forgiveness? Can I live with myself after the divorce?
I have sealed myself to my fate. They say you should not hide your self  from the person who will bury you. I’m in a mess now, and I need help. I have made up my mind to seek counsel and help from my pastor. Hopefully counsel and help that will not see me losing my daughter and Biola, decidedly!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1