Unforgivable 2


I was in Senior Secondary School when Father started having serious health issues. His blood pressure was on the rise. He couldn’t work two shifts anymore. I thought of how I could make extra income for the family. Finally an opportunity presented itself. A woman who attended the same Catholic parish owned a big supermarket. She was very popular and one day after Mass, I struck up the courage to go greet her. And then, I told her I needed an after school job. She was pleasant and went ahead to say she knew Father. She told me to come see her the next day at the supermarket. I was so excited, I couldn’t sleep a wink, that night.
After school, I rushed home to change and quickly drank my garri. I left my portion of the groundnuts for my siblings to share, which made them quite happy. I got to the supermarket at exactly three pm. It was a large supermarket with different compartments for food, clothing etc.
I met with Mrs. Anachebe, better yet, Dame Anachebe. She was so very gracious and told me she would employ me to work from three pm till eight pm. The pay was beyond my wildest imagination. She also said I could come work on weeks ends. I told her I would be happy to.
Father was not happy about the arrangement. He said he wanted me to concentrate fully on my studies and not to worry about the family’s finances. I was eventually able to persuade him.
Breakfast was usually pap and beans or any beans product. Lunch was always garri and groundnut. Dinner rice, yam or eba. Since I would be back late, I made the soup for dinner very early in the morning before preparing for school. My immediate younger brother I had taught how to cook, so conveniently he could make dinner.
Things continued this way until I was through with Secondary school and gained admission to the university.

To be continued….

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1