Unforgivable 3



I got admitted into the university to read Accountancy. I had always loved figures and so I looked forward to being a Guru at it. Tearfully I had left Father and my two younger siblings. I was Father’s confidant and I knew he would miss me so terribly. My savings from the Supermarket job plus the little father could give me financed my education. During the semester break I would go work for Dame Anachebe. The money made would see me through the next semester.
I was often hungry. As part of my income would be dropped with my younger brother, Wole towards the house upkeep. Father's health was still bad and a lot of money went into buying his medication.
I remember there were times I couldn’t afford to buy Sanitary pads. I would go from bunk to bunk begging for tissue paper to use. Sometimes, friends would take pity in me and give me part of their own food items.
I developed an inferiority complex because I didn’t have good clothes to wear. I was often  ashamed of my tardy appearance. I could only afford the cheapest quality second hand clothing. I had just three gowns which were almost threadbare, and a few tops and skirts plus my usual scruffy shoes. I would always promise myself that I’ll buy a few dresses for myself after the semester break, but the situation of things at home, made this impossible. My family, needed every kobo we could get to feed and buy medication for Father.
Eventually, I finished from the university. I served in Adamawa state. The Police primary school. It was fun. I met several interesting people and because I was doing home lessons, I was able to send more money home. Wole told me Father’s health had improved. Adamawa was far from Lagos, where we resided. I would take the Ekwos luxurious bus and travel for two days before getting to Adamawa. Bottom line, I rarely went home during service year.
After service year, I got a contract job in a bank in Lagos, as a teller. Beggars can’t be choosers. I worked hard. I had to, Wole had gained admission to the University at this time, and his fees had to be paid. The last born and girl, Oyinlola was in Senior Secondary due to write her final exams.
One very beautiful day, my almost dreary existence changed. For once I saw sunshine.
Someone walked into the banking hall and my life never remained the same, again.

To be continued…..



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1