Tango With Me 6


Remi looked into my eyes and smiled. He had ordered for chicken and chips and was eating as if his life depended on it. I looked away a trifle nauseous. Food was the last thing on my mind
‘ Of course you know there’s no free lunch in Freetown'
My heart skipped a beat.
‘Here it comes', I thought, ‘blackmail!’
‘ You’ll have to tango with me' he continued blandly.
My mind instantly went to the salsa classes we used to take back then. We were both prolific dancers.
‘But why would Remi want us to resume dancing together?’ I thought.
He smiled sardonically upon noticing my bewilderment.
‘ Wasn’t talking that kind of tango, Moji. I mean, we need to resume our relationship, by the side' his voice hardening' that is if you want to get married and stay married to my brother!’
I did not know how I made it home that night. My tommy, nay my whole body system was in turmoil.
‘ Who for God sakes does two brothers?!’
I didn’t sleep a wink. He had told me to go think about it. He told me if my answer came in the negative, he would be ‘forced' to tell Femi about the abortion I had had for him. He said he would tell him everything, leaving nothing out, including showing him my nude pictures in his kitty. I had really done many stupid things with Remi. I thought I was in love and I thought I was loved. The jerk had given me a week to think about the proposition but, what a proposition!
I told myself I had no choice. I was too far gone to pull out now. Moreover, I was already a month pregnant. Where could I go? Where would I start from? At forty? No, I simply did not see any way out. Forward, I must go.
And that was how the sordid relationship started. That was how I started doing elder and younger brother.
Every fortnight, it never wavers. I have made a pact with the Devil. I dine with him at fourteen days interval.
At first I was so ashamed. Now I am numb. I give a superlative sexual performance and as soon as I leave, I forget he exists. I have to for my sanity.
I have prayed Remi dies. It would make my life uncomplicatedly simple. I have toyed with killing him, but I am afraid of getting into trouble with the law. My younger brother is doing time for wire fraud and I shudder anytime I go visit. No, I had to discard that option.
This is the reality I’m stuck with for now but I hope not forever.

The End.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1