The Pain 2


Some days were good, some days were bad. The good days were the pain free days, the bad days were the pain wracked days. There were days I would request, literally beg my physician for a double dose of pain meds given intravenously so as to be able to get to work and stay at work. Yeah, that bad.
There were also days I would call in a nurse to give the much needed pain relief with the usual Pentazocin and Dichlofenac injection meds, because my pain ridden body couldn’t make it to the nearest hospital.
There were days the pain meds would need to be given at increased frequency, because the pain was refusing to go away. Days Saline infusions would need to be given to flush the stubborn sickle cell shaped cells clogging my blood vessels, causing unbearable pain. There were days of endless groaning on hospital beds. And there were days of gradual respite from the pain. Indeed, there were days of Sunshine and days of rain.
I was doing well financially and career wise. I was a banker who loved her job. I had always loved figures and so it figured I  would work in the financial sector. I had a boss who understood my health challenge and was sympathetic, nay, empathetic, more because he had a kid with the same challenge. I also had caring family and friends.
I was going on forty five and looking to settle down. I had had relationships in time past which had ended because of ‘my condition'. Some would pretend to stick around a little after having told them about my genotype. Others wouldn’t even pretend, they’d just go into ghost mode. I’d seen all sorts, I had heard, all sorts. At a stage I started asking myself if marriage was compulsorily, if it was necessary.
Some advised I ditch my jeep, men get intimidated by ladies who have cars not to talk of owning a jeep (apparently the mother of all cars!), I was dumbfounded! What a way of thinking, I thought. Of course, I paid them no mind. The man meant for me will come, I assured them and myself.
I acquired a house; a modest duplex and after a while I moved in. When I had massive crises one night, all alone and scared, I was forced to revisit my decision to live alone. I engaged a maid afterwards.
And then I fell in love, not for the first time, mind you, but this time, it was different. I felt it in my bones. It all started at the meeting.

To be continued…..

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1