The Pain 4

We were married, at long last! I was so excited on my wedding day , I prayed I wouldn’t have crises. Sometimes anxiety, excitement, heightened emotions can bring it about. Thankfully, my fear did not materialise.
I danced and danced. No one knew I could dance that well. My happiness brought it out of me. I was so happy I couldn’t eat through out the day.
Three days after my wedding, I had crises. I woke up my body intertwined with my husband’s to terrible back pains. I started groaning. My husband woke up to the groaning. He was alarmed
‘ hospital…hospital’ I managed to mutter
He kept asking me what was wrong. The poor man was clueless.
We got to the hospital. The doctor just took one glance at me and ordered I be admitted. Hubby carried me into the ward. I was on admission for three days.
As soon as hubby ushered me back from the hospital
‘ Why didn’t you tell me you have Sickle Cell Anaemia?’
I looked everywhere but at him. I bit my lower lip in despair, tears rolling down my cheeks.
‘ I didn’t want to lose you….I was scared to lose you'
I managed to glance at him, his face was expressionless
‘ How could you? It means the test result you showed me, was doctored?’
I started crying,in earnest. I had paid for the test result to be doctored at the lab I went to for tests. On paper I was AA, but in reality….
‘ Please forgive me Lekan. I am so sorry' I cried piteously
I tried reaching out for his leg (as I was seated and he was standing) but, he moved away abruptly and I nearly fell.
That was the beginning of the cold war in my less than a week old marriage. He was courteous ,I’ll give him that, but he treated me with indifference. I couldn’t go to my mother as she had warned me,  virtually everyone had. I tried severally to appeal to him, but Lekan was unmoved.
I cannot tell you the number of times I berated myself, the cries, silent and loud. My fall into depression. A few months afterwards, Lekan moved out of the house. I contacted his family, but they said they hadn’t heard from him. His lines were not reachable. I was distressed, worried sick.
A few days later I got divorce papers delivered to the house. I had massive crises. I had to be hospitalized for two weeks.
I called mother and she advised I let him go. I was reluctant to. What would people say? A marriage not up to a year, ending just like that! Won’t they say something is wrong with me? That I’m jinxed?
As soon as I was discharged, I called him. Suprisingly, he picked( I’m sure he was curious to know my take as regards the divorce)
I told him, before I agree to sign, that we needed to see, to talk. He agreed to come by the house, the very next day.


To be continued…




Comments

  1. Intriguing! , life is full of mysteries, ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This is serious. But people can hide things just to get what they want Sha!! God help her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serious ,smart,captivating.Real life issue and coping plans in a society that believes so much in marriage and scorn divorce.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1