Entangled 4

Since Dumebi had proven to be a disappointment, I pinned all my hopes on my daughter Ifeanyi. I told myself she would bring honour and pride to the family name. I was so protective of her and her grades were good. She was the picture of excellence until I started seeing some funny traits in her when she was in boarding house. I knew I hadn’t raised the angel I had hoped for when she was suspended in secondary school for prostituting in a nearby brothel. I felt my world collapsing.

My hope, my joy lost! I couldn’t bring myself to talk to her. Her mother said she merely experimenting! I was aghast!

I just had to leave the house. I knew if I stayed I would commit murder. I travelled to a resort in the East and tried to mend my broken heart. ‘Where did I go wrong?’ was the question I kept asking myself. Two kids apparently intent on the path of destruction.

I had been a model son, straight A's and all. Courteous, the epitome of goodness and refinement mixed with good breeding. 

I looked at my marriage, I was enduring it. The respect I had had for Frances was long gone. When respect is gone from a relationship, what else is there?

I had to make myself happy one way or the other. At the rate I was going, I would end up in an early grave. All my money going to the ungrateful and thoughtless sods called my nuclear family. I wiped the tears off my heart and eyes and left my expansive room to the bar, downstairs.

Whilst I was drinking and indulging in a tasty plate of catfish pepper soup, the owner of the resort came over to sit at my table. We were a bit friendly as I had visited the resort twice before. She was a widower who was very well respected. We chatted for a bit and she moved away. I heaved a sigh of relief as I wanted to be alone with my thoughts.


To be continued…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1