Unknown 6

For what seemed like an eternity, we sat close to each other under one of the canopies erected outside the noisy hall. Looking into each others eyes, drawn irresistibly as moth to flame. Our hearts merging through our eyes. Hope sprang in my heart like a fountain. I was lost….and I knew it.

I forgot I was a wife….i forgot I was a mother….until through the hazy fog that had become my reasoning, I heard my name being called and I sprang up startled. The magical moment was over…..i was brought down to earth.

It was my mother who had come out in search of me, for it was time to dance with my sister. I saw the troubled look on her face as she recognised Jude who bowed to greet her. She replied stiffly and taking one of my arms, dragged me unceremoniously with her back to the hall

‘Don’t you know you’re a married woman!?’ she hissed furiously in my ear' What would people say if they had seen you, in a secluded area like that with another man!’

I was chastened…and very sober. I thought of my son and how very sensitive he was. He could read me like no one else. How would he feel if he knew I was in love with someone else? Someone other than his father?

I danced with my sister, mechanically. My heart wasn’t in it. My heart wasn’t with me. After the dance, I went in search of my son whom I had left with my husband, only to see Jude in discussion with him…and my heart stood still. What could they be discussing? And did Jude know he was my husband?

They both got up when they say me. Love in my husbands eyes and an unreadable look in Jude's. Hubby hugged me and did the introductions

‘Honey, this is Jude my second cousin. Jude this is my one and only beauty, my darling wife, Soomtochukwu!’

Chai! I felt like the ground should open and swallow me as I saw the crushed look in Jude's eyes. 

 He managed to mutter some words and very shortly excused himself. Hubby looked puzzled but got distracted by Sean who had come running to his father announcing he wanted to go out to play with his friends. 

Hmmmm. I knew Jude was crestfallen….so was I. So many confused thoughts ran through my head. I had found love again, but wasn’t it too late for me?

We left for my husbands newly built house in the town with a few of our guests. The others preferred to be lodged in a hotel. Catering to the needs of family and guests left me no time to think. Eventually we travelled back to Lagos and I tried, I tried really hard not to think of Jude, but, to no success. I felt strongly bound to him. I found myself smiling when my thoughts dwelled on him.

Eventually he called me, one sunny Wednesday afternoon, a month afterwards

‘Soom, this is Jude. Can we see?’

I was tongue tied. To deal or not to deal?

I found myself asking ‘When?’

‘ Just let me know when you’ll be free. As a wife and mother I know how excruciatingly busy you are' he replied. Did I detect some sarcasm in his voice? To be candid, at that moment, that very magical moment, I didn’t really care

‘Saturday evening is fine' I found myself replying

‘Good! It’s settled then. I’ll send the address….and Soom?’

‘Yes, Jude?’ I replied my voice tremulous

‘ I still love you, nothing will change that.’

I was tongue tied….and I heard him breathing heavily on the phone

‘Goodbye for now, sugar' he concluded as he hung up


To be continued….




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1