Even in death 4

Femi was sure theirs was a match made in Heaven. She marvelled at the strength of the love she shared with Wale. Life could only get better and better

‘ I worry about you Femi' said her father one evening.

He was seated on the lone couch in her room whilst she was seated at the edge of the bed facing the couch.

Femi gave him an exasperated look because she knew what was to follow

‘I wonder why you trust this guy so much. Do you know the number of girls I dated and disappointed before I married your mom?’

‘Ah, dad, Wale is no player'

‘Oh so your father is now a player' Her father asked feigning anger

Femi moved beside him on the couch, hugging him

“Noooo. That’s not what I’m saying. Wale loves me very very much. He wouldn’t do anything to hurt me. And, he can never ever let me down. Dad, the guy is crazy about me!’

‘Hmmm’ her father replied, pensive

‘ Trust no man, Femi. I’m a man and I know what I’m saying. I don’t want someone that will break your heart.’

‘ He won’t!. He daren’t ‘

‘So says the woman who is seeing her lover through rose coloured glasses' her father replied, eyeing her doubtfully as she stood up.

Femi's father doubted the strength of Wale's love for his daughter. He didn’t want to see his daughter heartbroken. He felt a sense of disquiet anytime he saw them together and couldn’t place his finger as to why. He had tried repeatedly to dissuade his daughter from the relationship but she was adamant. He was not a praying man, he had never been and so he told his wife to intensify her prayers over their daughter.

After service year, Femi got a job in a company into oil exploration easily as she finished with a first class. Wale on the other hand had difficulty with getting a job and had to settle for a teaching appointment which was readily available. Femi pestered her father into using his connect to get Wale a job but he refused. He secretly hoped if Wale was unable to get a decent job, it would put an end to their relationship, but this was not to be.

Femi in her bid to make her fiance financially enabled, got him a car a year after working. Her salary and allowance was very attractive and so she decided to go for an expensive car…for Wale to start taking luxurious car ride orders.

And so Wale after teaching started taking car ride orders and soon things started looking up for him financially. A few months down the line, he resigned and concentrated on the rides.

Femi got him a flat on the mainland and they both furnished it over the course of some months. And then, Femi broached the topic of the date of their wedding…which Wale kept postponing citing the need for more time to achieve some goals. It was when Femi eventually threatened him with a fictitious fully paid scholarship in the abroad, that was when he hastily agreed to the date she proffered.

The introduction was done a month afterwards. Her father kept hoping and hoping but his yearning for them to split did not see the light of day as shortly afterwards they came to see him for the proposed wedding date. He wanted dearly to say no way, but upon looking at Femi's dreamy and deliriously happy face, he found his resistance waning.

The wedding day was bright and sunny. She has always wanted to be a July bride and July bride she was. Her gossamer thin wedding gown was the cynosure of all eyes, specially ordered from the United Kingdom. Her father proudly walked her down the aisle, his favourite daughter was going to be married, howbeit to someone he felt was so unworthy of her. He cleaned the teardrops about to fall from his eyes with a pristine white handkerchief as he handed her over.

Femi and Wale had painstakingly written their vows themself. 

Femi with eyes sparkling with the assurance of her love read her vows in a voice loud, clear and firm

‘ This day, Adewale, my darling, my sugar plum, my sweet pea, my ginger and cupcake, I say yes to being your wife, your friend, your lover. Our love is like that of the ocean, endlessly blue and endlessly flowing…and I know our love will last only forever'

Adewale looking heartbreakingly handsome in his navy blue suit read his, adoration shinning out of his eyes only for his one and only tomboy turned lady, in a voice brokering no argument

‘Oluwafemi owon, my heartbeat, my soul, spirit and body I lay down for you. This very auspicious day, I say I take you to be my wife, my best friend, my confidant, my everything! I will love you for all time. I will worship you and the love we share till time ends.’

With a loud cheer the Priest pronounced them as husband and wife. 

The reception followed at a hall a few blocks away. Femi and Wale changed into black denim trousers and matching tailored denim shirts, coloured sky blue for the reception. The newest couple in town danced away, eyes only for each other accompanied with family and friends. And much later that same day, they danced alone and nude, under the starry skies.


To be continued…


Comments

  1. Nice story that is developing with the premonition that somebody won't prove an ingrate in the story.I hope Wale would not prove to be an upstart that will confirm the fears of his father in law and to the awful disappointment of his wife Femi.Waiting to see where all is leading in the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done dear keep it up, nice one

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is so captivating and inspirational. I can't wait to read the next phrase. More grace to the writer. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stage is set, patiently waiting for the next one as events unfold!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1