The Pain 3



If you were abandoned by your father as a little girl, you might have a different mentality as regards choosing a life partner. We think differently anyways.
I wanted a father figure. I wanted the father’s love I never enjoyed. The man, my father had beat a hasty retreat when my pain episodes started plus the financial burden.
I wanted someone older who would be my father, big brother, mentor, husband and friend. In my sojourn they don’t come easy.
At the meeting, actually my university’s alumni meeting, I met him. My Prince charming. My Knight in shinning armor!
He had finished eight years before me and was a widower. He had no kids and was looking to find love again. I batted my false eye lashes at him upon being introduced( actually I had forced a mutual acquaintance to do the honours) He looked me over, interestedly. I tried to be all brightness and light( an aberration for me, as I was all melancholy).
To cut a long story short, we had a six month courtship. I was courted in an English manner, my fiance had all the manners of an English man, better yet, Lord.
Our wedding day was set. But I was yet to tell him about my genotype. I had told my other suitors in time past and they had fled. Some diplomatically, others not so diplomatically, leaving me, heartbroken.
I didn’t have the look of a typical sickler, so I had gotten away with passing as an AA genotype. My mother, and a few close friends had warned me that a delay in divulging my genotype to him might spell doom, but I was afraid of loosing this one. I was afraid of being alone. Each time I summoned the courage to talk, it was as if my throat was held in a vice like grip. The words just wouldn’t come out.


To be continued

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding night

To Do Myself

An Awakening 1